Oakwood Avenue Community School
Good to Great
Find It Fast
Oakwood AvenueCommunity SchoolDenise White, Principal135 Oakwood AvenueOrange, NJ 07050(973) 677-4095(973) 674-8015 fax
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Caregivers,
We are excited for the start of the 2019-2020 school year at Oakwood Avenue Community School! We are partners, jointly dedicated to helping your child grow socially, emotionally, and intellectually. This school year will be filled with continued opportunities to stretch your child’s practice. It is going to be a great school year for not only the school level staff but for each of you as well. Please see the information below regarding school procedures.
MORNING ROUTINE FOR STUDENTS
- Students in grades K-7 will line up in the courtyard with their teacher at 8:15am.
- Pre-K students will enter and dismiss through the entrance near the trailers.
- Students arriving via school bus will enter and dismiss through the main entrance.
- Breakfast in the classroom will take form this school year.
- Attendance is vital to instructional supports for our students. We need our students on time and present each day.
- All students are dismissed at 3:20 p.m.
- Students in grades K-7 exit via the playground.
- Please arrive promptly at that time to pick up your child.
- In the event that you are unable to pick up your child on a certain day, please provide prompt, written notification to the main office. Please include the name of the person who will serve in your capacity.
Students should dress appropriately for a school setting. Sneakers must always be worn for physical education classes. Uniforms should be worn daily.
Grades K-4 (Navy blue pant/skirt and white button down or polo shirt.)
Grades 5-7 (Khaki pants/skirt and white button down or polo shirt.)
The following items of clothing are considered to be inappropriate and are not to be worn:
- Hoodies are not to be worn during the school day.
- Blouses or sweaters that show a bare midriff, halter tops, bandanas, tank tops, tops with thin straps, short shorts, short mini-skirts, clinging or form fitting spandex leggings (without the appropriate length skorts, shorts, skirt, or dress), pants/jeans worn below the waist, and pants/jeans with rips 4" above the knee (including any rip that shows through to skin, undergarments, or fabric.). All flannel-type pants and sleepwear are not permitted.
- Appropriate and safe footwear must be worn at all times. Specifically, no flip-flops or “sliders” are not to be worn due to the safety factor when using stairs. All sandals must be secured at the toes and ankle for safety.
Parents are responsible for reporting daily absences to Ms. Jackson, School Secretary, at Oakwood Avenue Community School. The district policy indicates that a student must be in attendance for 163 or more school days in order to be considered to have successfully completed the instructional program requirements of the grade/course to which he/she is assigned.
Students will receive the emergency contact form on the first day of school. Please review and complete the emergency form and other corresponding forms by September 11, 2019. It is important that these forms are returned so we are able to have active communication with you throughout SY 19-20.
OAKWOOD AVENUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL stakeholders are committed to developing and preparing students to become college and career ready in the 21st Century through a rigorous academic program designed with thematic units of study and curriculum mapping.
Looking forward to a happy, healthy, and productive school year!
has a HIB Grade of
76 out of 78
for the 2018-2019 school year.
*Orange Public Schools Required Dress*
The Orange Township Public School District adheres to a dress code policy.Please click the link below for required dress by grade level and school.
The Orange School District supports access by parents/guardians, teachers, students and administrators to informational resources that will improve participation in a child’s education and improve communication between students, parents/guardians and the student’s teachers.
The Orange School District manages student information electronically and will make the student education records available for viewing only to authorized parents/guardians and students with a secure connection over the Internet. This service is offered to all current and active parents/guardians of students in the Orange School System. Information accuracy is the joint responsibility between schools, parents/guardians, and students. Each school will make every attempt to ensure information is accurate and complete. If a parent/guardian discovers any inaccurate information, parent/guardian will notify their school immediately and provide proof of the inaccurate information.Each parent/guardian/student must complete and sign a Parent/Student Portal Access Agreement before viewing student information. A School Official or staff designee must witness the parent/guardian sign this form. The parent/guardian must provide a photo ID or alternate legal document prior to signing. If a parent/guardian cannot visit the school, the parent/guardian must have the form certified by a notary public and mail the completed and signed form with the notary public seal and current date to their child’s school. The school will keep the completed and signed form in the cumulative record folder of each student.Please contact your child’s guidance counselor for additional information.
Board of Ed. meeting
451 Lincoln Avenue
Marking Period 1 ends
Marking Period 2 begins
6:00pm - 8:00pm
OBE School District
5:30 PM - 7:30 PM Parent Conference Grade 8 - Grade 12
November 26, 2019
November 27, 2019
November 28, 2019
November 29, 2019
December 10, 2019
7:30 PM Board of Education Meeting
December 16, 2019
December 23, 2019
December 24, 2019
December 25, 2019